Friday, March 28, 2008

PEOPLE

Are interesting creatures.
As I sat, waiting patiently, (impatiently) for the bus
Outside the WalMart (evil conglomerate),
A worker came by.
He was an older heavy set gentleman (loosely)
His duties entailed picking up the trash, using a broom to sweep cigarette butts into a little bin and tasks of the sorts
He seemed to me to be at the mercy of the world
A set of clothes that did not fit him
A slack jaw mouth
A, what appeared to be, a damaged eye
A waddling walk, seemingly the result of a damaged leg.
He swept haphazardly, he emptied the bins with little care, leaving trash behind
I noticed he had no gloves and seemed not to care
I noticed little pride in what he was doing
It made me think that even in a position of his I would be fighting to do my best
In the hopes that I could progress
This does not make me special or better just different
For I could be that individual being commented on by another
I said hello and he responded as an equal
A co worker came by and he responded as a slave
I recalled a conversation the night previous of backwater towns
and a simpler life that did not keep up with today's technology
and a specific phrase came to mind.
Someone else said it but it seemed to make sense to me here
The phrase was "bred into ignorance".
It made me sad and thoughtful.

No comments: