Friday, April 11, 2008

Lost Riley Goodwin

There is an image in my head
People running about laughing, squealing having a good time
It feels mocking
Painful
In her shoes what would I do
Twelve
Amongst all these people
In a strange/not so strange place
Alone
Where would I go?
Who would I turn to?

I feel her pain
Her anguish
The tears in her eyes evict tears from within my soul
Selfishly I recognize I am alive, my passion exists
And then I see her
Feel her in real time
And it hurts, it tears down to the bone and I want to break down and scream
Where are you why did you leave me
They say it will be fine
Who are they?
I don't know you?
Never talk to strangers

From the pit of my chest I wonder
What would it be like to truly be abandoned
I cannot get past the anguish
The question itself is enough to crush the breath from me
I hurt and see her sad face

Where would I go?
Who would I turn to?
A kind face in the crowd takes me to another stranger
His tone is kind
They say it is okay
I have no choice
I sit, I wait, they made an announcement over the loud thing
Mom Dad where are you?
I cry

As they round the corner
The corners of the mouth turn up
The tears stop flowing
I smile
They are here I am safe
Not abandoned or alone.

(experienced April 5, 2008 when helping Riley find her parents)

1 comment:

Apples and Arrows said...

watching them go,
whatching them,
watching...
You can't never cry loud enough.