Thursday, September 18, 2008

Toothache

I am in the airport in Cozumel Mexico
Waiting for my flight with two hours to kill
I forgot to ask the cabbie for a receipt so that is some money I won’t get back
With my little bit of upset I remember
“It is a foreign country, you are not fully thinking you are observing. You are taking in a lot of information.”
Right a bit of overload so things slip out.
My watchful self, my natural defense and fear on guard, so that I don’t get taken for a ride.
Thus I forgot.
This moment of reflection reminds me of my tooth.
Two weeks ago I was here, with the ship and I had to go to the dentist.
I was told when hired that I would be taken care of for all medical items
That was not true.

“Yes you need a filling. Get of in Mexico, we will approve it, grab a taxi and go to a dentist, well go to this dentist who we will call for you in advance. Everything at your expense”

The day of the doctor had not confirmed the appointment, no one knew if I would be seen, not sure how long it would take so I could miss the ship, no on to transport me, no address for the office, no money for taxi compensation.

I was scared, nervous and upset.
Where am I going, who knows this dentist, how far away, what if something is wrong with the tooth and they have to do emergency root canal, who do I call?
Off the ship I get into a taxi, with all my nightmare’s running through my mind.

Obviously, not an issue I am typing right now
But still, for a big company to treat me without thought, without living up to their hiring word, is tragic and sad.

No comments: