Sunday, March 7, 2010

Contact

Just watched Contact again.
Thought to myself that I could review it and put it on my review page (rather defunk)
But then I thought I don't want to ruin something the impacts me by analyzing it

There is not much to the movie
Girl studies space, gets signal, big hoopla to go chase signal, gets to outer space, comes back no one believes her
Decent film

What makes it impact is love.
What?
Love!
There is a little continuing plot between Matt McC and Jodi F.
They meet, fall in love, she denies, he pursues at a distance, knowing she will come around
At the end of the film he is still there for her
In the face of the world's skepticism of her he stands by her side

In the last moments of the film he says:
"As a person of faith I am bound by a different covenant from Dr. Arrowway
But our goal is one in the same, the pursuit of truth
I for one believe her"

And there it is
The entire world stands against her
and this one person stands up and to the world says
I support her.

This is love and for Hollywood a very surprising truth of it
Love is support, in all circumstances for the person you love
Love is supported by truth and communication
It is a two way street

I believe in love
the same way some people believe in gods
When I give it
I don't hold back
I have met no one who understands this
and no one who believes it too

I find this disturbingly humorous
because we long for it, we seek it, we write
films, poems, stories, songs, paintings and other arts about it
We have it at the foundation of so much
and yet we never give ourselves the opportunity to accept it into our own lives
because we succumb to the pressures of the social conditions we as a globe provide

I query
When will we realize that our goals in life are simple? To live in happiness
by sharing all that we have within ourselves and not that which is outside of us!

No comments: